The Unauthorized Biography of Rosco P. Coltrane

When it's my moment in the sun, I won't forget that I am blessed, but every hero walks alone, thinking of more things to confess

My Photo
Name:
Location: Owensboro, Kentucky, United States

One Word: UNSTOPPABLE AWESOMENESS!!!

Wednesday, March 09, 2005

Wednesday the 9th, 29th day of Lent

I had the day of today which was really nice. I walked around the old Dickson St. Used Bookstore while waiting for a lunchtime meeting. I was searching through some books and found a book called The Annals and Scandals of Henderson Co. Now Henderson County is where all my family grew up and live to this day. In fact, I was actually born in Henderson. I looked through the book and was floored by all the photos of the past. There were all these places that I knew from my past. There was a picture of Harold Kruger's store. The photo was take in 76 and it is the same cluttered store that I remember going to as a child. I could almost smell the smoke from the old wood burning stove. I can see the deli refrigerator humming and keeping the bologna cold. I can see the cat litter next to the cleaning products next to the bread next to the candy.

I looked through this book researching the history of the town my mother's kin is from. The language was so different. Evidently there was a train wreck in the early 1900's. It killed two train workers and two tramps. I can honestly say that I have never heard someone use the word tramp in the old timey way. There was even a really early picture of the train sunken halfway down in the river.

I observed something else while looking through this book. I come from a unique place. It's probably not unique in the sense that it is the only place in the world that has an old general store or train wrecks. But it is wholly unique to me. It is a time gone by. I realize that I grew up during the last parts of the good ole days, and I can appreciate it without longing to be back in those days.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home