The Unauthorized Biography of Rosco P. Coltrane

When it's my moment in the sun, I won't forget that I am blessed, but every hero walks alone, thinking of more things to confess

My Photo
Name:
Location: Owensboro, Kentucky, United States

One Word: UNSTOPPABLE AWESOMENESS!!!

Friday, April 08, 2005

Boyz II Men, ABC, BBD, The East Coast Family

I was driving to my health club last night and flipping through the radio stations. I came across Boys II Men's End Of The Road. I started laughing and singing. It's amazing how I still know the words to the song from more than a decade ago. Every single word.

I can still remember high school dances and them playing that song. Everyone was doing the Tootsie Roll (which by the way, if you don't know what that is or how to do it, then you might as well stop reading this) and then boom, Boyz II Men came on and everything slowed down. Getting close to some girl and slow dancing, maybe sneaking in a kiss or two.

I started wonder if the music that was popular when I was in high school will be looked on with nostalgia like past generation's music is judged. I mean Nirvana and Pearl Jam are at least in the ball park with past generation's music's greats from the 60's and 70's. But no one with any taste really believes Boyz II Men I'll Make Love To You and that really bad boy group who had a couple of the guys looked like Kenny G and a Mexican George Michaels I Want To Sex You Up are in the same same planetary system as Al Green's Still in Love With You or Marvin Gaye's Let's Get It On.

My generation has no really good love songs from our formative years.

And no, Metallica's Nothing Else Matters (a Owensboro High School Prom favorite I might add) doesn't count

What will our legacy of pop music be?

I certainly don't want it to be Hootie and the Blowfish or En Vogue. That won't stand the test of time. I don't even know if we can look back on early 90's music with the same nostalgic campiness that we hold 80's music too. 80's pop music was so bad it and commercial that it kinda became ironically good. But Whoop There It Is, Baby Got Back, and I'm Too Sexy For My Shirt aren't ironically bad, they are just bad.

I wonder, though, if Clear Channel will try to market towards my generation that graduated high school in the early 90's and somehow survived the late 90's?

All 90's All the Time...Right now, coming at you, a 90 minute 90's block of Billy Ray Cyrus woth Achy Breaky Heart, EMF's Unbelieveable, Billy Joel's We Didn't Start The Fire, Van Halen's Right Now, and Prince back when he was know as The Artist Formerly Known As Prince.

But looking for anything from commercial radio these days is a futile search.I guess to find music that is good, I will just have to do like I have always done (and most of my friends have done) and find it somewhere else. Even though I have been banging on the 90's there was some good music out there if you knew where to find it. Pearl Jam, Nirvana, and a very underrated Soundgarden all broke out very big in the early 90's. U2's Actung Baby and REM's Automatic For The People ,which I consider to be two of the finest albums ever produced, both came out in the early 90's. Whenever I hear PJ's Black on classic rock radio (which scares me that it is considered CLASSIC) I almost have to stop my car because the memories and faces from freshman year go flying by.

I guess to find good music, something with passion, soul and authenticity, one has always had to go out and search and dig for it. But I always thought that the cream was supposed to rise to the top. Not the crap like Aerosmith's Livin' on the Edge.

But time and nostalgia do strange things.

1 Comments:

Blogger Nelson said...

I remember watching some Saturday morning TV show that showcased new videos and artists (it wasn't MTV...they haven't done MUSIC for 20 years now). But I remember when Boyz II Men dropped their first single, and I RAN to my Mom and said: "Look! People who actually SING, and it was COOL!!!" I'm a fan of them, mainly for that reason alone.

But to say that Aerosmith is crap?? Come on!! I'm with you on REM, PJ, Nirvana, and Metallica (though N.E.M. is a fantastic song!).

I just found your blog, so I'll be commenting random stuff on it now, because that's the way I roll. (and yes, I danced to Tootsie Roll)

7:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home