The Unauthorized Biography of Rosco P. Coltrane

When it's my moment in the sun, I won't forget that I am blessed, but every hero walks alone, thinking of more things to confess

My Photo
Name:
Location: Owensboro, Kentucky, United States

One Word: UNSTOPPABLE AWESOMENESS!!!

Friday, April 08, 2005

Drew Caperton--Church Planter, Graphic Designer, and Very Tall

Resides--Soon to be Lafayette, LA
Known since--August 2003


I remember the first time I met Drew, he totally blew me off. I was trying to volunteer to help out in the children's ministry at my church. He said, yeah, sure. I gave him my number and he told me that he would call me sometime. It was about two weeks later when he finally called.

We ended up talking over lunch and sweet tea at McAlister's. We found out that we both liked Saints football or as some people say, cursed. His phone rang during lunch, which I found out to be a regularity any time you spend time with Drew. But he had a good excuse, his wife was pregnant.

Which leads me to the fact that Drew is married to a tremendous woman who must have loads and loads patience to put up with the two little boys in her life, her son and her husband. Drew and Kristy are a great match, they have a lovely little boy and will soon have a lovely little girl joining their family.

But for some reason, Drew and I clicked.

Which is funny because a few days ago Drew asked me why I thought we had become friends. My best answer was "the hell if I know."

We started to hang out more often. Drew, who can be scatter brained, was always needing some help with children's ministry and I was always more than willing to help out. We would be messing around with the Greenhouse or something and just start telling stories and laughing. He is the only person I can make a throat slashing gesture to for a laugh. He is only person I can say "The Credentials" to and make laugh.

Now Drew isn't just good for a joke. He is one of my closest confidants. I can tell him anything. When I was having nightmares and worried about a sort of quarter life crisis, it was him that I talked to. And I think he trusted me enough to confide in me about thinking about moving back to Lafayette to plant a church.

Which I knew he would be able to do as soon as he told me. Drew is more talented than he realizes.

I also know he will be successful in Lafayette. Because Drew is the genuine article in an surface deep age of bullshit and glitz. He cares about people and in turn, people care about Drew. People enjoy getting a hug from a really tall man who really wants to know how your day is really going. People enjoy Drew asking them something totally random. People feel comforted when Drew is transparent with them about his struggles and fears.

About the best thing I can say about Drew is that he has a heart and he is not afraid to use it.

There are going to be a lot of people that miss Drew up here in Northwest Arkansas, and I count myself as the leader of that club. But we all know that Drew is doing the right thing and will do the right thing for years to come. That doesn't mean we won't miss him. Cause we will, and by we, I mean me.

Except for his ability to beat me at NCAA Football 2005. I won't miss that. But I am positive that if given the chance for a rematch I would beat him so bad that he would ball up in the fetal position and cry like the baby he is.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home