The Unauthorized Biography of Rosco P. Coltrane

When it's my moment in the sun, I won't forget that I am blessed, but every hero walks alone, thinking of more things to confess

My Photo
Name:
Location: Owensboro, Kentucky, United States

One Word: UNSTOPPABLE AWESOMENESS!!!

Monday, June 06, 2005

15 lbs. of Pride

Well, I got back from Mexico safe and sound. We flew into a pretty bad storm in Tulsa. There were 90 m.p.h. gusts and one of the vans broke down about half-way back. I tried to figure out what was wrong with the van, but came to the conclusion that the computer was in need of repair. I ended waiting with some others in the broken down van and finally got home to my bed at 3 a.m.

Just in time for a bit of Montezuma's revenge.

But I can't complain.

I lost 15 pounds of pride this past week. 15 lbs. that I needed to lose, both physically and spiritualy. Being down in Mexico, I realized how lucky and blessed I am. I was humbled every single day. They served us food everyday that was good, but every time I tried to take a bite I would feel sick. I would feel so tired and so hot that I couldn't eat. And for the first time in my life, I think I felt 1 percent of what it feels like to be truly hungry.

15 lbs. of pride lost due to excessive smiling. I constantly wondered how many more times God could make me say "wow." As a result of that question, I found the answer to be many, many more times.

Today is going to be a difficult day for me. I am readjusting to life. My life has been changed, but life (everyday life around NWA) has stayed the same. And trying to reconcile the two is going to be very difficult. Because I can't just walked around and work like I used to. I can't listen to all the inconsequential problems that I hear people discuss and get upset about the same way. I have to restrain myself from just shouting, "Shutup, it doesn't matter!" How can I go on and live life like I used to. The answer is that I can't and I won't. I need more focus, I need a better perspective, and hopefully, my trip has changed that forever.

I will write a day by day account of my trip here this week, but I just want to tell everyone that I am back and to thank everyone that prayed for us.

2 Comments:

Blogger shauna said...

Wow, I was impacted by your post. I had been anticipating what you had to say about the trip. more to come I hope . . .

1:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your paradigm shift makes total sense to me since being in Africa. You said it far better than I could have. Let's not ever go back to the old way of thinking.
Sheila

5:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home