The Unauthorized Biography of Rosco P. Coltrane

When it's my moment in the sun, I won't forget that I am blessed, but every hero walks alone, thinking of more things to confess

My Photo
Name:
Location: Owensboro, Kentucky, United States

One Word: UNSTOPPABLE AWESOMENESS!!!

Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Are You Certain?

For pretty much the past 2 1/2 years I have been battling something at work called the Measurement of Uncertainty. It sounds ridiculous because it is pretty ridiculous. How do you really measure uncertainty.

I started out with a vague idea of how to figure it out. I have messed around with the programs and had nightmares about this stuff. This stuff ruined weeks and raised blood pressure. I mean, I flew to Cincinnati and taught someone else how to do this, and still had no idea what I was doing.

But I have finally figured it out. Or at least I can finally justify it to myself and, hopefully, to others.

The thing that getting engulfed with uncertainty does, besides giving me a pretty big headache, is it affects me on a philisophical level. The measurement of uncertainty deals is based on the idea that there is nothing that is certain. There is no such thing as absolute. There are only degrees of freedom and confidence levels.

It is frustrating, maddening, and more than a few times I have screamed at my laptop when the program goes into a run-time error and shuts down.

But today, I was yelling at my laptop asking it if it wanted anymore of me. I was flexing muscles and making sure to tell my laptop that I am it's daddy and it shouldn't forget it.

So now, when I am asked how certain I am about uncertainty, I will say very certain...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home