The Unauthorized Biography of Rosco P. Coltrane

When it's my moment in the sun, I won't forget that I am blessed, but every hero walks alone, thinking of more things to confess

My Photo
Name:
Location: Owensboro, Kentucky, United States

One Word: UNSTOPPABLE AWESOMENESS!!!

Thursday, August 18, 2005

Bobble Head Night


I grew up a Reds fan. My first major league baseball game was at Riverfront Stadium in 1989 when the L.A. Dodgers played the Reds. I remember staying up late to watch the Reds eventually win the 1990 World Series. It was the best moment of my then 13 year old life.

But when my friend and fellow Reds fanatic, Ryan, died, I was disheartened. He stuck up for Pete Rose for all those years. But after a few years, I grew to the realization that Pete lied and my dead friend went to his grave defending a liar. That along with the strike of 1994, I stopped following baseball, especially the Reds.

I eventually started to watch baseball again, but instead of putting back on a Reds hat, I switched allegiance to the Red Sox.

But I heard about this story a few weeks ago that makes me want to root for the Reds again. These new Reds did a good thing for a kid in a bad situation. Something that I am sure the former owner, Marge, would not have let them do because she was a cheapskate.

Little Antonio Perez went to the ballgame a few weeks back with his grandfather. His grandfather had a heart attack during the 7th inning. The boy was whisked away from the EMT's working on his grandfather. A security guard took him into the bullpen and the players entertained him. When word got out that his grandfather had died and that his mother was on the way to the ballpark, the players took the little kid into the clubhouse and showered him with gifts. He returned to the ballpark a couple of nights ago, and once again the Reds showered the boy with gifts. Gifts that will never replace his grandfather, but will at least make him smile.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home