The Unauthorized Biography of Rosco P. Coltrane

When it's my moment in the sun, I won't forget that I am blessed, but every hero walks alone, thinking of more things to confess

My Photo
Name:
Location: Owensboro, Kentucky, United States

One Word: UNSTOPPABLE AWESOMENESS!!!

Thursday, November 03, 2005

The Tao De D-O-Double G

Snoop Doggy Dogg. Or as Will Ferrell called him in Old School, Snoop Aloop.

I don't exactly know why, but I love Snoop. I think it has something to do with the duality of his persona. He is a mixture of contradictions and shortcomings, but there is something about him that makes me laugh and think, Snoop is just the coolest. He is flawed and celebrated. He has changed, re-invented, and stayed the same in the 13 odd years since he busted onto the music scene.

He has been on trial for murder, been shot at, been in a Girls Gone Wild video, coached peewee football teams, smoke a lot of herb, renounced smoking a lot of herb, been in very bad movies, created his own form of the English language, and produced maybe the best party song of the 1990's, Gin and Juice.

It is not that I think that he is the best role model, or rapper, or anything like that. It is just that Snoop is cool in the way that Johnny Cash, Paul McCartney, Marvin Gaye, and Bono were and are still cool today. His celebrity is based on his being cool. I can't remember the last time I heard a new Snoop song. But he is cool.

Just look at his hair, if anyone else had hair like that, it would just look stupid. On Snoop, it just fits.

I don't know, I just appreciate Snoop. I appreciate his flaw and scars but also the penance that he seems to be paying. I appreciate the fact that even though the world gives him a bad rap, no pun intended, he still tries to be good, to do good.

3 Comments:

Blogger Spencer said...

Cash would stomp the sn double-o p.

1:24 PM  
Blogger Shelli said...

He's just got his "mind on his money and his money on his mind" when it comes to layin' down cool rythms, teachin' and preachin' his boyz of the hood in peewee football, and smokin yet not smokin da herb. Sup?

3:18 PM  
Blogger Shelli said...

...and scene!

3:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home