The Unauthorized Biography of Rosco P. Coltrane

When it's my moment in the sun, I won't forget that I am blessed, but every hero walks alone, thinking of more things to confess

My Photo
Name:
Location: Owensboro, Kentucky, United States

One Word: UNSTOPPABLE AWESOMENESS!!!

Monday, November 28, 2005

Zen And The Art Of A Beer Can

I have been deep in thought somewhere in the back of my mind all day. Hopefully this will make sense to most of you, if it doesn't I apologize. I know my dad will probably understand it...

I have been thinking about one of my favorite books, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, this morning. It has been a heavy morning, if that makes any sense. If you haven't read the book it is about ghosts, shock therapy, fathers, sons, advanced math, values, what is quality and what isn't quality, a little bit of Zen and a little bit of motorcycles too.

I have probably read it three times and listened to it on audio book once. I still don't fully grasp everything Robert Pirsig was trying to say. It might be the most difficult book that I have ever read.

My dad has his own Cliff Notes version of it. He says that the meaning of the book is that if you can fix your motorcycle then you can fix your life.

I don't know, I think that might be a bit too easy.

But at the very beginning of the book, a man has a problem with his motorcycle that can be fixed very easily. All that was needed was a shim, a little sliver of metal that could have been a pop top from a beer can.

But the man has a hard time accepting the fact that the problem's solution is that easy.

I sometimes wonder if that is why I have problems with Occam's Razor. I wonder sometimes if I don't want things to be more complex than they really are. I have a hard time accepting simplicity. It is too easy for me, but a lot of times, it is right for me.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

son,

what i mean is fixing your life is like fixng a motorcycle,first you have to figure out what the problem is. then fix the problem.the troubleshooting is the hardest part.

dad

5:20 AM  
Blogger Drew Caperton said...

Man, you are so blessed to have your dad comment on your blog. How many guys wouldn't give their right arm for that?

9:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home