The Unauthorized Biography of Rosco P. Coltrane

When it's my moment in the sun, I won't forget that I am blessed, but every hero walks alone, thinking of more things to confess

My Photo
Name:
Location: Owensboro, Kentucky, United States

One Word: UNSTOPPABLE AWESOMENESS!!!

Wednesday, January 25, 2006

453.6 grams (The Weight of the World)

I have to admit something that might make my father want to disown me. I like the metric system. I think it is easy to understand. I think it is a better system of measurement. I have a hard time with conversions. I can never remember how many pints are in a quart. I can never remember how many quarts are in a gallon. I have no clue what a bushel is. I hate to even think about ounces.

There is only one conversion that I know for sure. There are 453.6 grams in a pound.

But our measurement system is so ingrained in our culture that I doubt the United States will ever change. Can you imagine people talking about the kilogram for kilogram best boxer in the world? Everyone would also be going to McDonald's and eating "Royales with Cheese." Or maybe we would call them 100 gramers? It just sounds warmer to be a nice and crisp 75 degree F day instead of a nice 25 degree C day.

The point is even though our system of measurement is hard to convert and a bit on the bulky side. But whereas the metric system is scientific and exact, our system has some poetry to it. It's not as stiff. It's not flexible, but it is more easy going.

It doesn't necessarily make for the best system, but it is the one we have. And if you will excuse me, I will go finish my liter of water.

4 Comments:

Blogger john pelphrey said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8:20 AM  
Blogger john pelphrey said...

Another example of difficulties in the English system: pint vs. imperial pint. Water is measured in pints which are 16 ounces. Beer is measured in imperial pints which are 20 ounces. The English do have their priorities, after all.

8:24 AM  
Blogger Drew Caperton said...

Funny you remember that one conversion. I always remember the square root of 2, it's 1.4142135623725. No kidding. I was really bored my senior year in Calculus and well...

9:04 AM  
Blogger Shelli said...

I just remember that 177345 on a caculator upsidedown is my name.

12:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home