The Unauthorized Biography of Rosco P. Coltrane

When it's my moment in the sun, I won't forget that I am blessed, but every hero walks alone, thinking of more things to confess

My Photo
Name:
Location: Owensboro, Kentucky, United States

One Word: UNSTOPPABLE AWESOMENESS!!!

Monday, January 23, 2006

My Many Roles

About a week ago, a friend of mine (Rockstar Jones) was over watch Scrubs with me while his wife was at a work function. He said that he had been thinking a lot and came to the conclusion that I am the smartest person that he knows. It shocked me a bit. My first thought was that he must not know very many people. My second thought was that it was one of the best compliments anyone has ever given me. My third thought was that there was no way I could add both of those thoughts together to adequately express the thanks and shock of his statement.

It got me thinking though. I began to wonder about all the roles I play in life. It was either Shakespeare or Elvis (maybe both) said that life is a play and every person plays a part. I know I play, played, and will play a lot of roles in my life. Each role will be different for every person. And each person will judge me on their perception on how I play a role, a role I do not even choose most of the time.

I am someone's angel. I am someone's regret. I am someone's hero. I am someone's first love. I am someone's best friend. I am someone's sounding board. I am someone's marriage counselor. I am someone's pride and joy. I am someone's arch-nemesis. I am someone's poet. I am someone's fool. I am someone's one-liner. I am someone's saving grace. I am someone's future pallbearer. I am someone's devil. I am someone's frustration. I am someone's truth that needs to be heard. I am someone's old friend. I am someone's I-always-wonder-what-happened-to. I am someone's mover. I am someone's happy hour buddy. I am someone's library. I am someone's inspiration. I am someone's funniest story as well as saddest story. I am someone's reason for belief and doubt. I am someone's envy. I am someone's future. I am someone's past. I am someone's passerby. I am someone's I-used-to-know-a-guy-that. I am someone's smile. I am someone's smartest person they know. I am also someone's biggest asshole they know. I am someone's bad intentions. I am someone's good advice. I am someone's car mechanic. I am someone's fixer-upper. I am someone's strong back. I am someone's first crush. I am someone's rock. I am someone's answer man. I am someone's waste of time. I am someone's luckiest bastard. I am someone's hurt feelings. I am someone's flirt. I am someone's no one.

And I hopefully, I am a lot of someones' friend.

It was Norman Maclean who said that "It is those we love the most that elude us."

I know I elude many people.

I am not easy to peg.

But it isn't on purpose, it's just you haven't had a chance to see all my roles. Maybe someday you will.

4 Comments:

Blogger Drew Caperton said...

You're my writer-that-I-knew-before-he-was-famous.

And you are pretty elusive, but I think you're included in that grouup of people who isn't sure who you are either.

11:33 PM  
Blogger EY said...

HAPPY HOUR...ROCK ON!!! i do need a drink. and it's only tuesday!!!

4:04 PM  
Blogger RockStar Jones said...

I was driving over to your house that night thinking of my grandfather whom I dearly love and respect. He was the no BS kind of man who deserved respect. He had an answer for every question and could solve any problem with his mind and his hands. His favorite beer was bud light he liked to gamble and was known as the gentle giant. Lafe you remind me alot of my grandfather. He was the smartest man I ever knew.

1:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

SON,
i like this a lot, you are correct we evolve and change we go through life. we are lots of differnt things too differnt people,but in my opinion frindship is worth more than anything.

DAD

5:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home