The Unauthorized Biography of Rosco P. Coltrane

When it's my moment in the sun, I won't forget that I am blessed, but every hero walks alone, thinking of more things to confess

My Photo
Name:
Location: Owensboro, Kentucky, United States

One Word: UNSTOPPABLE AWESOMENESS!!!

Sunday, May 21, 2006

Loosely Translated: Saturday the 20th

Preface: Sorry for any typos, I am writing this on a Spanish keyboard...

I did not get much sleep on Friday night-Saturday morning. I went to see The DaVinci Code with the Sullivan boys in Tulsa. It was a pretty good movie, but it was pretty long. We finally got back home around one and the only place I could sleep was on a leathe recliner because there were about 25 people total sleeping somewhere in the house. I finally got to sleep around 2:45, which was one hour before we were planning on waking up.

The Tulsa airport isn´t very much fun a 4:45 in the morning, let me tell you.

After the normal rigamorow (man I hope that is a legit word) of airport security and high priced and under taste coffee, we made it on the plane down to Houston. I sat next to Jaime Farmer and a cop from Bartlesville, OK. (Quick question, why do I always sit next to another big guy every flight I am ever on. It´s profilling I tell you. And it ain´t right.) Jamie and I talked to the cop for most of the trip. Jamie mostly talked about her hometown that the sheriff worked in and what all new chain stores were coming in. She also talked about her pooch, which is a very long story that I can´t get into right now.

We made it to Houston alright, but I forgot to get my ticket out of the seatback. I ran back and got it while the crew was claening up the plane. After a quick Starbucks stop, I sat and read the new issue of Esquire and tried to get a little bit of shuteye. My attempts on both were quite futile.

When we finally got on the plane, we sat on the tarmac for about 15 minutes. Evidently there was a problem with the plane that meant we could not take off. I was expecting something to be seriously wrong with the engine, but it was fine. I couldn´t help laughing when the stewardess came on the speakers and said that the fasten seatbelt light was not working. Seriously, all you have to do is tell everyone to sit down. That´s it, end of problem. They never did get it fixed, and somehow they let that bird off the ground without a seatbelt light.

The plane ride was about 2 1/2 hours. It went by pretty fast because I talked with Kiplyn most of the way down. I told her all about the greatness of Norman Maclean´s A River Runs Through It and found out that we both have a strong love of rap music.

Unluckily for us, the seatbelt light was not working properly, so we just had to rely on pure instinct to tell us to fasten our seatbelts when we dropped about 300 feet in a second while we wee crossing the Sierra Madre mountains. The landing was a bit rough, but the important thing was that we made it.

We were in Mexico.

Jason, Cindy, Kyla, and I all rode up to the base with Aaron, a missionary who helped us out and led us last year. We caught up on things that were happening down here. We talked about Lorenzo fish pond that was doing well. Unfortuantely, Lorenzo´s grove of fruit trees did not survive and accidental torching when Lorenzo was trying to control some brush by using matches and gasoline. We also found out that the bible translators up in El Moscoe have had some bad health problems with a new born and the little old lady that Kent and I had met and prayed with had died. Aaron and I also talked a lot about the upcoming Mexican elections and Presdent Bush´s new direction on the border. Dr. Jason kept up his tradition that he had somehow started the night before of patting me on the butt. Harassment papers will be filed Jason!

After a quick stop in Puerto Escondido for an ATM trip and a quick call to Dad to tell him that I made it safely to Mexico, we headed back up the highway towads Roca Blanca.

Roca Blanca is more stunning than it was last year. We unloaded all the bags and had a quick bite to eat. Of course, I didn´t eat the whatever it was that was being served. After the meal I walked out on the beach with Jill, Bethany, Matt, Kiplyn, Jamie and me. The waves were beautiful and huge. I wish I had a a surfbaord, knew how to surf, and was brave enough to ever surf, because if I did, it would have been so much fun. Instead, I watch the sunset and got my feet wet a bit. The ocean mist really cleared up my sinuses.

We had a quick meeting and Matt, Reagan, and I decided to moe in with Aaron at the Cacalote House. It was nicer than the dorms because it has air conditioning. We all took showers, which cooled us off tremendously and headed for bed. Right before bed, while reading I ate Pop-Tart that I snuck in to the country with me. I was pretty proud of my spoils of luxury that I had managed to bring into the country until I saw that Reagan had brought in an entire Kum and Go convience store in his duffle bag.

I woke up in the middle of the night cold. It was a great feeling to have to put on a long sleeve T-shirt on in the middle of the night.

9 Comments:

Blogger RockStar Jones said...

Great to hear from you Lafe. Take care much love from the Joneses.

10:41 PM  
Blogger Nelson said...

You saw the Da Vinci Code? You are SOOO going to Hell.

Or Purgatory.

Or wherever the blood line of Jesus and Mary Magdalene are not.

1:28 AM  
Blogger Drew Caperton said...

Sorry I didn't make the time to talk when you called. These kids are really whipping us and sleep now happens from sundown to sunup.

But I really wish we could have talked before Mexico. Oh well, hopefully I'll hear from you very soon after you get back. Much love.

9:04 AM  
Blogger john pelphrey said...

Next time you go to Mexico, I'll send you one of my surfboards. Everyone should surf at least once in their life.

4:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for updating Lafe! Keep it coming! We are praying for you!

Malinda

7:00 PM  
Blogger EY said...

wish i were there...i'm carrying around my oaxaca bag that i bought from last year....and wearing my oaxaca t-shirt as much as i can. thought and prayers are with you. don't forget to throw the bottle in the ocean again!! look forward to your play-by-play updates.

11:23 PM  
Anonymous Matt's dad said...

I really enjoyed reading about your first day in Oaxaca. I'm Matt Schilb's dad. Tell him I said "Hi". I'll keep reading your updates.

7:52 AM  
Blogger Shelli said...

YO LAFE! Prayin' you'll find some hot mexican lady to take as a wife.

...ur...

I mean, we're praying for your safety and for God to do miraculous things while you're down there.

Serious about the 2nd thing...not serious about the 1st.

..or am I?

10:43 AM  
Blogger Jamie said...

just for the record to anybody who reads this, the "pooch" being referred to was actually my money wallet which I borrowed from Sarah. Lafe, because I know how much you love that word, I will make sure to continue incorporating it into all of our conversations.

12:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home