The Unauthorized Biography of Rosco P. Coltrane

When it's my moment in the sun, I won't forget that I am blessed, but every hero walks alone, thinking of more things to confess

My Photo
Name:
Location: Owensboro, Kentucky, United States

One Word: UNSTOPPABLE AWESOMENESS!!!

Tuesday, December 19, 2006

This Weird Place

Lately, I have been thinking a lot about my place in the grand scheme of life. Not a crisis or anything like that. I was just thinking about the fact that I have lived my life in what history might very well call the most transitional part of the evolution of America and the World. I began up my life in an Analog world and somehow found myself smack dab in a Digital world. The world of almost 30 years ago seems so foreign and almost absurd now. I feel as though my generation, a generation that was dubbed Generation X, has been largely the grease in the cogs of change. I don't know, maybe every generation sees itself that way. But it seems to me that the generation that began all this change was one and two generations before us. The generations after us will take the Digital age much more farther than I can probably ever imagine.

I look at the experiences of growing up and realize that in 20 years, if I tell stories of what it was like growing up that kids born today will not be able to relate. I remember we used to have milk delivered to our house. I remember being taught the words to "My Old Kentucky Home" at school and singing the lines "Tis summer, the darkies are gay." I remember buying potato chips in large metal cans. I remember a world where you could smoke anywhere. (I noticed this while watching the movie The Pursuit of Happyness this weekend. The movie was set in the early 80's and everyone was smoking everywhere. I kept on thinking, wow, this is not only outlawed nowadays, it is considered rude.)

Kids born today will never know what a cassette tape is, they probably won't even know what a CD is. Technology developed today, will be the glass Coke bottles and potato chip bins of tommorrow. Blogs will be quaint little fads. The political correctness and social issues we fight for today might be looked at as backwards and antiquated in 20 or 30 years.

It just reminds me that life, and the world, moves so fast. So fast.

I don't necessarily think it is a bad thing, but it is something we have to accept.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home