The Unauthorized Biography of Rosco P. Coltrane

When it's my moment in the sun, I won't forget that I am blessed, but every hero walks alone, thinking of more things to confess

My Photo
Name:
Location: Owensboro, Kentucky, United States

One Word: UNSTOPPABLE AWESOMENESS!!!

Monday, January 29, 2007

Do You Realize

Reed1
(Sorry, I don't have any new pictures of Reed...)

Last night, 1:54 a.m., I woke up and bolted upright. I walked around my room a few times trying to hear the cries, but I couldn't hear them. I looked around and around for Reed, but I couldn't find him. I finally picked up my glasses and found the only thing that was blaring was a rerun of Sportscenter. It was so vivid. I know that I heard him. And for a while, as I tried to go back to sleep, I wondered if I really heard him. If he was really heard him, and that somehow, 563 miles away, I heard him crying. I don't know.

I don't know how it happens, but the last two times I have been home, Reed has slept in my room. He has cried in the middle of the night both times. During Christmas, I woke up and his eyes were as big as pie plates. His little heart was beating wildly and he kept looking around for something or someone. It freaked me out for a while. Maybe he had a nightmare, I don't know. But I tried my best to calm him down. I sang to him for a while...

Do You Realize - that you have the most beautiful face
Do You Realize - we're floating in space -
Do You Realize - that happiness makes you cry
Do You Realize - that everyone you know someday will die

And instead of saying all of your goodbyes - let them know
You realize that life goes fast
It's hard to make the good things last
You realize the sun doesn't go down
It's just an illusion caused by the world spinning round


After a while, I tried to lay him down, but he still was resilient. I talked to him for a little bit. I told him an old story that used to calm me down and put me to sleep. I told him about the frogs that lived under our porch. I think he kind of recognized the word "frogs" but I am not sure. I kept pacing around the room and eventually he put the right side of his face down on my shoulder. I kept the story up, long after he had fallen back to sleep. But I wanted to make sure.

Last night, I watched a little bit of Sportscenter and began to think about frogs. All those little frogs living underneath all those porches.

I wondered if Reed needed to hear that story. I know I did.

Eventually, I went back to sleep.

2 Comments:

Blogger RockinMominAr said...

You are going to make a great Dad some day! ;-)

3:49 PM  
Blogger Nate's Nonsense said...

I highly recommend Willie. I remember seeing Willie in Barnhill when I was young. I remember seeing lots of fights, beer bottles, smoke and people being drug out of the arena. I hope you enjoy the time with Willie.

11:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home