The Unauthorized Biography of Rosco P. Coltrane

When it's my moment in the sun, I won't forget that I am blessed, but every hero walks alone, thinking of more things to confess

My Photo
Name:
Location: Owensboro, Kentucky, United States

One Word: UNSTOPPABLE AWESOMENESS!!!

Monday, February 19, 2007

It's The Most Wonderful Time Of The Year


Okay, maybe it is because I grew up Batholic (Half-Baptist, Half-Catholic), but I love Lent. I love it, I love it, I love it...

I like to believe that the reason I love it is because it symbolic of the 40 days that Jesus spent out in the wilderness. That I feel deeply that my simple act of abstaining from something will help prepare myself for Easter, and help me focus on Christ's sacrifice for our justification. But that isn't the real reason I love Lent.

I also would like to believe that the season of Lent is like a second chance on New Year's resolutions. That the act of giving something up for God, somehow helps me discipline myself to exercise more or cut out food that isn't good for me. I would like to think that is the reason why I love Lent, but that again, isn't true.

The truth is I love Lent because I can't ever truly fathom grace. I can't understand the fact that I don't have to do anything to be justified by Christ's death. So I feel that I have to somehow atone. It is like my Christian Yom Kippur. It is my days of awe, my days of atonement. Even though I say I can let go of my dirty sins and mistakes through God's grace, I still think that my petty abstinence from junk food and alcohol will wash my dirty heart clean. So I rely on myself, and still come up short. How come no one can accept grace? I know it isn't just me. How come we still believe that works still work?

The simple answer is this: God can grant us grace so much more easily than we can grant grace to ourselves.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home