The Unauthorized Biography of Rosco P. Coltrane

When it's my moment in the sun, I won't forget that I am blessed, but every hero walks alone, thinking of more things to confess

My Photo
Name:
Location: Owensboro, Kentucky, United States

One Word: UNSTOPPABLE AWESOMENESS!!!

Friday, February 16, 2007

Life's Too Short To Hang Around The Normal People

Jerry At Easyrider's Show 2
My Uncle Jerry won first place in the old school division at the Easy Rider's show in Louisville last weekend. His old sportster is really sharp.

When I was home for Christmas, Dad and Uncle Jerry were finishing up on Jerry's old Sportster. Dad and Jerry put in a lot of hours, a lot of sweat, and probably a lot of blood on this old bike. They did a fantastic job.

When I got home they were having some problems with the wiring harness. They were both pretty stumped. Dad was quite dismayed, he thought that he had shorted a wire somewhere in the frame. He kept on telling me, "The only thing it can be is that we nicked a wire somewhere in the frame. I sure don't want to pull all that wiring back out." Luckily, they just put the wiring harness on backwards, no big deal.

I walked in the shop right after they fired it up for the first time. All I could see were smiles and all I could smell was exhaust fumes. Jerry was showing all the features on the bike and asked me what I thought.

"Jerry," I said, "this is my kind of bike. Very old school and classic. This is the kind of bike Steve McQueen would ride, if he were still alive and didn't ride foreign bikes. It looks really loud."

Jerry replied with a laugh, "It is. That's the way I like them."

The amount of details on this bike is really nice. The leather work was done by my Dad's friend Don Raines, who runs a great, old shop (Raines Shoe Hospital on Frederica Street in Owensboro), did all the leather work. Evidently, he was almost done with the front leather pouch when Dad and Jerry came in and told him that they gave him the wrong specs. Don was retelling me the story when I was in his shop over Christmas.

"Josh," Don said,"I was so mad, but would could I do. When I see someone that has passion in a project, I want to be a part of it. It's almost foolish what they were doing. But I wanted to be a part of it because life's too short to hang around the normal people."


Jerry At Easyrider's Show

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home